Patriotic Flip-Flops Canvas Painting
+ Free Traceable Download
Flip-Flops On The Shore
Occasionally I’ll look at one of my paintings and I get an idea of a design variation of the original. This one comes just in time for the Fourth Of July! These patriotic flip-flops would make a fun paint party.
I also made a free printable of this flip-flops and the shoreline. The original tutorial only has a printable for the flip-flop shoe. Simply print the image and transfer it onto the canvas using graphite transfer paper!
Scroll down to the bottom of this post to get the free PDF download of the traceables.
- Titanium White
- Bright Aqua Green
- Unbleached Titanium
- Burnt Umber
- Phthalo Blue
- Cadmium Red Deep Hue (Or medium if you like a brighter red)
- Trace the design onto the canvas using the provided printables and graphite paper.
- Follow the instructions for the "Flip-Flops on the Shore" tutorial.
- When it comes time to decorate the flip-flops, use the colors "Phthalo Blue", "Titanium White" and "Cadmium Red Deep Hue"
- Paint the flip-flops on the left with "Phthalo Blue". Paint the straps with "Cadmium Red Deep Hue". Let dry before painting stars and dots with "Titanium White".
- Paint the flip-flops on the right with "Titanium White". Paint the straps with Phthalo Blue. Let dry and then paint phthalo blue and cadmium red deep hue stripes.
- Do the "highlights" on the straps with titanium white.
- Wait for the flip flops to dry completely before painting the translucent sea foam layer that goes over the tips of the flip-flops.
Instructions For Tracing:
I’m using an 11″ x 14″ canvas. Place a sheet of graphite paper on your canvas (shiny side down).
Position the traceable so that it covers the appropriate area of the canvas. Some of the paper will be hanging off the edge if you’re using 11″ x 14″ canvas.
Simply trace the design using a pencil.
Tip: I find it best to trace when the canvas is flat on the table and not on an easel. Apply steady pressure with your pencil so the line comes out dark enough to see.
Your drawing will be on the canvas ready to paint! Mine turned out a little “sloppy” but there’s no need for perfection! The paint will cover up all the graphite drawing when you paint it in.
Next paint the water with bright aqua green and the sand area with unbleached titanium. Remember you can view more details for this painting here.
Paint the darker sand area and the shadows with unbleached titanium and burnt umber.
Then fill in the flip-flop designs. If you’re doing the patriotic version, use phthalo blue for the base of the shoes on the left and titanium white for the base of the shoes on the right. Wait for those base colors to dry and then do titanium white stars and dots on the left and cadmium red deep hue and phthalo blue stripes on the right.
Tip: Paint the shoe a solid color first, wait for it to dry and then paint the designs. Paint the plastic strap last after your designs dry.
After you’re done filling in the designs, wait for them to dry. Then do the very thin layer of sea-foam with watered down titanium white .
Download The Free Traceables
This traceable download comes with two separate papers. There is a Right Side and a Left Side. Print each on an 8.5″ x 11″ standard size computer paper. You may wish to tape them together or simply trace them side by side.
If you want to do this on an 8″ x 10″ canvas, you can download the full size.
That’s it! For more detailed instructions on how to do this painting, see my “Flip-Flops on the Shore” full tutorial.
Love painting traceables? You can view a variety of free traceables in my traceable library!