Bear Silhouette Landscape Painting
I don’t know about you but that purple and teal together is such a lovely and unique combo!
Learn how to paint this beautiful landscape painting with purple mountains! Then add a bear silhouette to your painting by simply transferring the outline of the bear with white chalk or graphite!
Finish your painting with a gold sharpie and add your favorite bear adventure quote on the moon!
If you’re feeling extra creative, you can mix and match the bear silhouettes or make a family of bears! I am providing you the template for the bears so you can adjust the sizes as needed.
Happy Painting Artists!
This Bear Silhouette Painting was done on an 11″x 14″ canvas. I also provided the template for this bear below! If you scroll all the way to the bottom of this post, you will find directions for how to do that painting.
Tips For Doing This With Kids
When artists do a painting, usually we start at the top (the sky) and work our way down. The three terms you can teach to your children are: background, mid ground and foreground.
The background would be the sky and mountains (the furthest in the painting), the mid-ground is the water and the foreground is the bear silhouette.
Now, to simplify this, you can probably have the kids just paint the sky a dark turquoise so they don’t get frustrated with trying to blend the sky.
The mountains could be solid purple with white on the tips but don’t stress over the blending. I think everything else should be successful!
And…kids LOVE writing quotes especially when they get to use a fun marker! So don’t forget that step!
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon.com
- 16″ x 20″ Canvas (version 1) or 11″ x 14″ Canvas (version 2)
- Bear Template To Print (See below) Note: if you want to adjust the size of the animal, feel free to export into MS Paint and adjust accordingly.
- Acrylic Paint (I used a combo of the “Fine Touch”, a Hobby Lobby brand and “Artist’s Loft”, a Michael’s brand. Use whatever paint you have available! I’ll match the colors for you below if you’re using Liquitex or Craft Paint.)
- Phthalo Turquoise (Bright Aqua Green. If you want it darker, mix a tiny bit of Phtahlo Green (which is a dark green) in the paint. Any shade of turquoise you have on hand will be fine!)
- Titanium White
- Mars Black
- Violet (Deep violet. Any shade of purple would be fine, even a light purple.)
- Large flat (1″)
- Small flat (1/4″)
- Small Round
- Chalk or White Charcoal Stick (To transfer the bear)
- Gold Sharpie and/or White Paint Pen (If you’re doing the single bear version)
- 9″ Paper Plate to trace the moon
Shop This Art Project:
Directions At A Glance
Step By Step Pictures
1. Draw The Moon & Mountains
2. Paint The Moon & Sky
3. Paint The Mountains
4. Paint The Water
5. Paint The Snow
6. Transfer The Bears
7. Add A Quote
8. A Final Touch
Bear Silhouette Version 2:
For this painting, I used an 11″ x 14″ sheet of canvas paper, turquoise paint (the same color as version one), titanium white, mars black, a gold sharpie and a white paint pen!
- 1. First I drew the horizon line about 4.5″ up. I did not draw any mountain lines.
- 2. Then I traced my circle just like the version one painting, except I used a smaller circle because this was a smaller canvas.
- 3. Then I painted the sky and moon exactly the same way as the version 1 painting. I went almost all the way down to the horizon line (knowing I was going to paint trees, I left some area blank.
- 4. While the sky was drying, I painted the bottom half of the painting with white paint.
- 5. Then I painted the trees with titanium white. I did use the same technique for painting trees as my Snowman Starry Night Tutorial! Note that the picture below shows tree shadows and I ended up painting over those in the end!
- 6. Next I traced the bear silhouette on the canvas paper by rubbing a graphite pencil on the back of the paper and tracing it (just like I did in version one of the painting, only with graphite and not white charcoal).
- 7. Lastly, I painted the bear in with Mars black, waited for it to dry and drew my quote out with the sharpies and paint pen!
Subscribe For More!
SIGN UP TO MY EMAIL LIST AND YOU’LL RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS IN YOUR INBOX WHEN NEW ART PROJECTS ARE POSTED!
FOLLOW MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS THAT WAY!